Sunday, January 06, 2008

Japan: Day six

"A vendor in Ameyoko calls out prices of fresh fish, including octopus, to passerby on Sunday, Jan.6."

My time here in Japan in winding down quickly. It's a sad state of affairs. On Monday I have one last guided tour of Japan (I am not sure where) and I fly back to the United States on Tuesday.

As for Sunday, it was my last day on my own...well sorta.

I started out retracing some steps with hope to try and remake an image I had earlier made in Nippori. However, it seemed as if everyone had slept in. There was no one around and I failed my mission of creating a better image than the first.

After wasting 45 minutes, I went back to Ueno. I felt the need to see some areas in greater detail, including Ueno park.

Little did I know, the place tried to remake the image at was literally 10 minutes from the edge of Ueno park. I had walked 25 minutes back to Nippori station for nothing.

All the walking earlier in the morning had me starved, so I grabbed something for a street vendor near Ueno station. I have no idea what it was, but I ate five fried dough balls. Each had a octopus tentacle and some other things in it. It was really, really good. And for 400 yen, I was full.

Finishing my rounds in Ueno, I realized one of my guides had circled Shinagawa on one of my maps. For what reason is unknown.

Nonetheless, I walked around an didn't find anything. That was until Mamoru called and told me to meet him in Ginza. As he called, I stumbled upon a couple nice looking shrines. Maybe in the morning I'll revisit them.

When I got to Ginza, I told Mamoru about my tempura lunch that I loved. I guess I had eaten at a tempura restaurant equivalent to a McDonald's because he took me a upscale place. I would have never found it, as it was in the top floor, that's nine floors, in a department store.

It was so delicious. By far the best meal I've had since being here. It blew my previous tempura meal away, ten fold.

After eating he took me to see the Nissan GT-R in person. I got to sit in one and play around with all the controls. Such a beautiful vehicle.

To finish my day, he took me to the Tokyo Tower. This over looks the entire city from Roppongi. It was extremely interesting. We didn't go all the way to the top of the Eiffel tower replica because of the long lines. But we did catch the sunset while overlooking Tokyo.

Well, posting early tonight. About to catch dinner and call it night. I am sad I only have one day left.

Also, I've started to add some (some is less than two percent of my images) to my Flickr page.


Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like you're having a pretty amazing trip. Glad it's going well. Bring me back some fly joints from the sneaker store. I'll pay you back.

Sunday, January 06, 2008 7:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home