Friday, January 02, 2009

In Japan - Travel day

"Various types of sushi rotates in front of customers at a restaurant near Shinjuku Station in Tokyo, Japan, Friday, Jan. 2, 2009."

The Japan travels continue and when I say it was a travel day, what I should really say is that it was a sushi day.

Let me first preface by saying I've been shooting a ton each day (roughly 4 GB a day or more) and I am really having a hard time editing down to what I'll post for the day.

I have many images that I love so far, some that tell the day in one picture better than others and others that are merely "snap-shots" that will help me remember the place I have been.

In addition, I want to post my best of the day, but at the same time I am waiting to put some up until a later time. So just be prepared to see more images later, just not now.

We'll spend our last week in Tokyo before heading back to the United States, but had to get there first. Thus we took the JR Shinkasen north Friday morning.

After checking out of our awesome hotel in Shin Osaka, we jumped on the train and luckily had no problems getting a non-reserved seat on what we thought would be a busy travel day into Tokyo.

During the three-hour train ride we first were amazed that it was snowing heavily roughly 20 minutes from Kyoto station. We started seeing snow atop small mountains, then as we got closer were in a complete snow storm.

About an hour later, we were again in blue sky, sunny weather and staring at Mt. Fuji. Last trip I got an up and close view of Japan's largest mountain, this time all I got was a passing view.

By the time we got to Tokyo station and switched to the Yamanote line to take us over to Shinjuku, and then make the nearly 10 minute walk through the streets, we were back at the Shinjuku Washington Hotel.

At this point we were exhausted from sitting around all morning, so we checked in and then got some quick sushi near the station with hopes of a real hibachi dinner.

We then roamed Tokyo until 8 p.m., including Shibuya, which is famous for its mad scramble, dash intersection where I have heard that 400 people cross every time the light changes.

I am not sure if that's the case, but I got a chance to see it from above this time and was just as impressed as last time I saw it from a bird's eye view.

Well, we never found out restaurant, so when it gets late and you have to wake up early the next day in Tokyo, what do you eat? Sushi. Yep, twice in a row and just as lovely as the first time today. I'll be making a post on everything we ate

I am pretty beat right now, fighting to keep my eyes open. Tomorrow we will meet back up with Vivo san and then head to a nabe party at night. I am super excited!


Post a Comment

<< Home